How To Stick To Your Diet During Christmas


Christmas is here again! I love Christmas, and it is the perfect time to kick back and relax!

I wouldn’t expect anyone to be dieting around this period as it’s unrealistic, so this blog post will be geared towards helping you guys to stay in control. This means maintenance as opposed to completely binging.

This way you won’t experience the guilt that normally follows for most people in January, and guilt isn’t normally a very good motivator for sustainable diets. The vast majority of dieters in early January not only fail, but they fail within a few weeks! (That reminds me, I need to do a post on how not to be distracted from your goals by others!).

I am obviously 100% all for having an awesome time during Christmas, and this includes eating and drinking lots. But there is a way to strike a balance, achieving more or less the best of both worlds without hugely compromising the other.

Gimme Prezzies! 🙂

So, how do we maintain control during the christmas period?

I think the main things you need to be doing are:

  • Continuing to do Intermittent Fasting.
  • Reminding yourself consistently of your physique goals visually.
  • Continuing to perform cardio regularly and intensely (preferably more than normal).
  • Drink lots and lots of water with each meal.

Continuing to fast means that realistically, you won’t feel the need to go too overboard on the calories. This means consuming maximum 30% calories at lunch and the remaining 70% in the evening, which should be a lot of food to have fun with. But feel free to swap these figures around if there is a social event/meal at lunchtime or mid-afternoon.

This also means drinking lots of water throughout the day, and a couple of coffees in the morning. This is crucial actually. You need to be drinking a shit tonne of water with each meal. This will keep you full and prevent you from going overboard.

Reminding yourself visually of your physique goals; either through pictures, videos, or specifically written goals is a great way to maintain motivation throughout the Christmas period. Music can also be a very strong motivational source, so you could use both at the same time. This of course means whatever music you find to be motivational.

I recommend doing this every morning, or possibly just before you perform intense cardio. It reminds you that in order to improve, you need to perform better than you have done in the past.

Cardio, particularly intense cardio, will keep your metabolism slightly elevated throughout the Christmas period. This is why I recommend higher intensity cardio and a little more of it for most people during Christmas, especially just before the gyms close temporarily.

Doing the above 4 things will prevent you from doing what most people do, which is gain 5kg, then guilt trip themselves into a hardcore diet in January. This diet then inevitably fails after 3 weeks because it’s WAAAAY too restrictive.

Unlucky chucky. Don’t be that guy! 😉



Sharing is caring!

One thought on “How To Stick To Your Diet During Christmas”

  1. What would be the best way to approach intermittent fasting? What would you recommend as I can imagine there are lost of different approaches you can take…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *